On Wednesday 12 November 2014, we submitted a suite of beauty qualifications to the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) for approval to develop. This is the first phase of the review process and once approval to develop the qualifications has been given more work will be undertaken to prepare the documents for approval to list.
- New Zealand Certificate in Makeup and Skin Care (Introduction) (Level 3)
- New Zealand Certificate in Beauty Therapy (Level 4)
- New Zealand Certificate in Makeup Artistry (Level 4)
- New Zealand Certificate in Nail Technology (Level 4)
- New Zealand Certificate in Prosthetics and Performance Makeup (Level 5)
- New Zealand Certificate in Spa Therapy (Level 5)
- New Zealand Diploma in Beauty Therapy (Level 5)
- New Zealand Certificate in Specialised Epilation Therapy (Level 6)
- New Zealand Certificate in Specialised Skin Care Therapy (Level 6)
We were successful in gathering a number of attestations for this qualification suite, the vast majority of which were in support of the proposed suite of qualifications. Please note that there were a few changes made though. The attached diagram shows the changes that were made based on the feedback we received. Of particular note is the intention to have the level 5 beauty therapy qualification as a diploma, and it is intended that the spa qualification can be entered after doing the level 4 beauty therapy qualification.
Again it is recognised that what has been submitted to NZQA may not be perfect. The intent is to get approval to develop this qualification suite and then try to iron out any outstanding areas and anything that is raised by NZQA.
The next step is to wait until we hear back from NZQA. Once we have any more information, we will advise the working groups and industry.